Thursday, August 9, 2007

25 U.S. Open Contenders

In addition to ranking the top 25 contenders on the U.S. Open page, I'll provide some extra comments and updates here, because as we all know, things can change in between the time I rank a player and the start of the U.S. Open...

#25: Jonas Bjorkman
I'll admit this was an ambitious choice, though I will feel pretty good about it as long as he doesn't get a terrible draw. I'd like to see Bjorkman get some singles matches in on the hard courts prior to the Open to see how he's playing. That said, I'm even more interested in the Bjorkman-Mirnyi doubles team. They're my favorite squad outside the Bryan Brothers and it would be great to see them get it back together, starting with Montreal.

#24: David Nalbandian
He beat Alejandro Falla and then posted a nice win over David Ferrer (both in straight sets no less), but then today he goes out and gets spanked by Djokovic 6-2, 6-3. Granted Djokovic is arguable the second best player in the world on hard courts right now, but still that scoreline is startling. The win over Ferrer makes me continue to think Nalbandian is worthy of his Top 25 spot, but the Djokovic blowout indicates that he is not close to elite status like he once was.

No comments: